What’s the best way for a man to make a lasting impression on a woman? Recent consumer research by the Society of American Florists (SAF) shows that the answer to making a memorable impact is right under his nose – through flowers. In fact, 77% of women can remember the last time they received flowers, and 81% say receiving flowers makes them feel special.
Giving great floral gifts, however, still remains a mystery to most men. To help them out, SAF offers advice to guys on how to send just the right message to the woman in his life – a new girlfriend, that special someone, Mom or a good friend:
- The New Thing. Show your new romantic interest exactly how you feel with a passionate arrangement filled with hot pinks, oranges and reds. Add a thoughtful card to help communicate just the right sentiment.
- The Real Deal. Flowers are intimately – and internationally – linked with the art of romance, and for good reason. As relationships grow, flowers become symbols of different events and milestones in our lives together. Take note of her favorite flowers – the varieties at your wedding, flowers you sent her when you first started dating or the ones she buys for herself. Those will have great meaning and impact.
- Leading Ladies. No woman – especially moms, grandmas and sisters – should live without a little TLC. A fabulous flowering plant or a garden-style arrangement with greens and soft pastel hues – no matter what the flower – will send the message that you care.
- The Gal Pal. Flowers that show you’re thinking of someone, but not in a sensual way, have a natural, just-picked feeling. Ask your florist for a selection of garden-style flowers or a bright bold color palette that is fun and whimsical. A basket with a mix of flowering and green plants delivered to her door or office is also a sure fire winner.
Research shows that 92% of women say the best reason to receive flowers is "just because." You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to give flowers. Make an occasion by sending flowers to the woman when they're not expecting it. They’ll never forget it.
Want to try something trendy? Talk to you florist about these three top design styles:
- Monobotanic. Arrangements featuring only one type of flower (such as all roses, tulips, lilies or iris) are in style and may even include different colors of the same flower in the vase or container.
- Monochromatic. Pick a color, any color and stick with it! If her favorite color is pink, for example, ask your florist for a fresh bouquet of different flowers in the same color range.
- Bunches of Texture. Ask your florist to select complementary flowers of various textures to place in bunches in an elegant glass container. This unique look has a bold, contemporary feel and will surely provide the “wow” factor.
- Need to find a florist? Click here for a Florist Directory searchable by city and state or zip code.
- Don't know what to say on the card? Click here for creative card messages for every occasion.
A Guy’s Checklist of Things to Remember
- Be Spontaneous. You don't have to wait for a special occasion to give flowers. In fact, most women say “no reason” is the best reason to get flowers.
- Size Doesn’t Matter. Trust your florist to help you send an arrangement that is appropriate for the occasion. Bouquets both big and small can make a bold statement. It’s the sentiment that makes the impact.
- Score Big Points. Surprise her by sending a bouquet to her office, and see how much attention you’ll get because of the attention she got.
- Relax. Flowers don't have to mean commitment. Women know when an arrangement simply means that you care.
The most important thing to remember is that you simply cannot go wrong with flowers. Your florist is there to help, but you’ll get all the credit.